Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bible Hill - An Explanation




Two or three times a week I take a short walk with Kipper, our dog, to a place that the Jerusalem Municipality has decided to call "Bible Hill." Aside from putting a couple of signs up, informing the public that it is an urban nature preserve, the city has done nothing in particular to change it form the way it has been for as long as I remember: a low hill rising up between the disused railway station to the west and the Mount Zion hotel, to the east. The Scottish Church, which appears in the photograph here, is to the north, and to the south is a recently refurbished stucco building that once housed part of the government printing office.
On the lower east slope the remains of an ancient quarry are visible. Between the church and the recently built Begin Center are ancient burial caves. Some impressive archaeological discoveries have been made there, but for now no one is digging.
I go there with a notebook and try to jot down ideas while Kipper runs around, but he foils me. When I sit down quietly, he comes and sits down restlessly next to me, sticks his nose in the notebook, and demands that I walk around with him. So I decided to bring my camera as well as my notebook.

No comments: