Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Bewildering Complexity of Life #2

This morning, as often happens, I was wide awake at 5:00 am, so I got out of  bed, went up to my workroom, turned on my computer, and got an hour's work done before breakfast time.  Why do I wake up so early in the morning?  What should I do about it?
The reasons why I wake up at that hour, which I started to call "ungodly," but in fact it is very godly, tranquil, calm, good for concentration, are probably a tangle of physiological and psychological factors, and the effort to untangle it all so that I could sleep for another hour or so, seems disproportionate.  Better to accept the situation and make the best of it.
However, there's the complexity again: I am a mystery to myself.  I don't know why I wake up before I want to.
Breakfast time came. I made the coffee, took in the paper, read about as much as I wanted to, but didn't eat or drink anything.  I had to go get a blood test, to see whether the pills that are supposed to be lowering my cholesterol are still working, and to discover whether any other signs of decrepitude and disease are in my blood.  I hate having strangers (or anyone) stick needles into my arm, and I almost put the blood test off, telling myself I was too hungry, but knowing that any day that I decided to have the test done I would be equally hungry, so why be a baby?
The laboratory at the closest clinic to our house, a pleasant twenty minute walk, begins doing tests at 7:30.  I got there at 7:20 or so, took a number, and waited my turn.  By the time my turn came, in about a quarter of an hour, the line was quite long.  I congratulated myself on my foresight.
The two people who were waiting when I got there hadn't bothered to take numbers, which is so stupid I can't believe it.  The old "system" in Israel was that you walked into a crowded waiting room, asked, "who's last?'"  Then you announced that you were now last and waited tensely until your turn came, fiercely protecting your place.  Routinely people would come in and announce that they had been there before and asked someone to save their place, giving you the helpless feeling that your good will was being exploited.
In the past ten or fifteen years, that chaotic situation has been remedied by the simple method of giving everyone a number.  Why you would prefer constant vigilance, announcing to everyone who comes in that they're after you rather than taking a number and waiting until it's called is beyond me - another example of human complexity.  Even on the simplest level, it's hard to figure other people out.
Rather than try to figure them out, I took three numbers, gave the lowest one to the woman with two children who claimed she was first and the next lowest one to the man who had told me he was last, and keeping the highest number for myself. I've decided to be more proactive in my life.  Let's see where that leads.
I'm back now, with a bulky bandage on the inside of my left elbow (I just removed it), having risen at the wrong time, eaten breakfast at the wrong time, and returned to my desk at the wrong time.  Just a little change in your routine, if you have a routine, can make your whole day look different.  Another instance of complexity.  If you jiggle your life in one place, you don't know what will be shaken somewhere else.

No comments: