Sunday, March 8, 2015

Flute Thoughts

Instead of bringing my European, metal flute to India, I bought an Indian flute, a bansuri in Mumbai. I ordered the bansuri from Anand Dhotre, who is listed as one of the best makers in India. He came to the hotel where I was staying in Mumbai with two flutes, so I could choose the one I liked best. Since I could barely get a decent sound out of either of them, I picked the one that looked nicest. While we were in India, I took out the bansuri from time to time and struggled to produce a decent sound and cover the finger holes, which are far apart and quite large. I'm not sure just how I'll use the instrument. Just producing a deep, full tone on it gives me great satisfaction.
Typical (of me, and probably of most acquisitive men), I now own a large number of flutes. In addition to the high quality bamboo flute made by Anand, I bought a simple one from a
peddler on the street in Mumbai. I also have the Chinese-style flute I bought as a souvenir in Vietnam, which was the instrument that persuaded me I could learn to play the flute. And I haven't parted with the beginner's Armstrong flute that I bought when I decided to take the instrument seriously, although I've replaced it with a better one, a Di Zhao step-up flute.
I try to start every day with an hour or more of flute playing, after which my lips are rather tired. It's a kind of meditation, a way of preparing myself for the day, checking in on myself.
It's kind of strange that recently I have been concentrating on two instruments that I never thought of playing when I was younger: flute and baritone saxophone.
Every instrument is a voice. Some people can do so much with one voice, like fine violinists, that they aren't tempted to develop others. But I was never able to commit myself to a single voice, and if I were forced to choose one, I would be hard put to decide which instrument to abandon.
Not only is every instrument a voice, it is also a key to musical experience. Baritone saxopone led me to years of playing with a big band, to saxophone quartets, and now to a concert band. I don't know what door the flute is a key to.

No comments: