Wednesday, September 9, 2015

A Hospital Lobby, Flute Practice, Turning my Back on Someone in Need


A week or so ago I found myself sitting in the lobby of a hospital with nothing much to do, waiting for my wife to emerge from a medical examination, so I started scribbling in my diary, something I do only occasionally. 
I used to write lengthy entries in diaries, and I kept them for years, but when our son Asher died, I threw away all my old diaries. I knew I would never reread them, and I didn't want to leave cartons full of banalities for posterity. His death made me feel very unimportant.
The paper in the diary I'm writing in now is hand-made and thick. I bought it in Mumbai. I write with a fountain pen, and it's fun to see the way the ink is absorbed in the paper. I write by hand because I enjoy the act of forming the letters. I get no physical pleasure from typing and seeing the letters pop up on my computer screen.
Since Asher died, I find myself prone to worry about illness and accidents – not to myself so much as to the people I love. But I wasn't worried about the results of my wife's examination. We were focused on the unpleasant preparations and never thought about the possibility that it might reveal some horrible disease (fortunately it didn't).
Recently two vital people we knew, both younger than we are, died of cancer. Our age cohort is thinning out. 
Once I was an optimist.
* * *
In my diary I started writing about the flute I bought at an exorbitant price, an unjustifiable extravagance, perhaps, but I'll try to justify it nonetheless.
How much longer do I have to play flute until I die? Not that many years. I'm sure I'll never be as good a player as I'd like to be, but why not give myself the pleasure of playing on a good instrument while I can still play? Besides, I'm a fairly rich man, though I find it hard to write those words (my mother always thought of us as “middle class”). I could afford to buy a professional-level instrument without affecting our standard of living at all – so I did it. Anyway, the flute will always be of value, and my heirs can sell it.
I wasn't really sure when I went to the music store in Tel Aviv that I would upgrade my flute, but the moment I played two or three notes on the instruments the salesman showed me, I could feel the difference between my decent instrument and the excellent ones I was trying out.
I know the flute is not going to sit in a corner untouched. I've become obsessive about practicing. Every day I go through a methodical routine to improve my tone and articulation, and this slow and careful work has carried over to my saxophone playing. I hear more.
* * *
I have been exposed to two different approaches to practice. My flute teacher, Raanan Eylon, is a stickler for detail and aims at control of the instrument. He has decades of experience and a coherent method for attaining that control. A couple of years ago I heard a fantastic young guitarist say, “practice the same thing every day” – a corroboration of Raanan's approach. If you practice the same thing every day, you can monitor your progress.
However, the late Arnie Lawrence, my musical guru, if I ever had one, said, “Don't practice! Play!” The approach of Raul Jaurenga, a brilliant tango musician to whom I was exposed this summer, is similar to Arnie's. He said you should start out by falling in love with your instrument, spending time every day just exploring the sounds you can make.
The point is to combine the two approaches. Arnie was a master of his instrument, and Raul plays the bandoneon with incredible skill. Raanan, with all his emphasis on sound production, aims at enabling his students to play a melody communicatively. When I play something badly he says: “I don't understand.” Technique and feeling must go hand in hand. Feeling must provide the drive for acquiring technique, and the acquisition of technique enables the expression of feeling.
* * *
As I was writing this I got a phone call that makes all this thinking about music feel terrifically self-indulgent (as if reading about the refugee crisis in Europe or the asylum seekers here in Israel weren't enough to make flute practice a bit like feeding brioche to the poor). Two distant relatives of mine have gotten themselves in a bind, and I've become involved in their problem even though, objectively (if there is such a thing), they are not my responsibility.
I am not prepared to do what a more charitable person would do, which is to take them into my home, lend them money, and care for them until they can get onto their feet. I would admire someone who did that, but I have to admit to myself that I'm not the kind of person I would admire.
I feel guilty and angry at the people who put me in a situation where I feel guilty.

No comments: