Thursday, February 25, 2016

Little Temples all over the Place

Along with the huge temples and shrines, central Kyoto is dotted with smaller, old wooden temples. Here are a few I saw while casually walking down the street. I saw a couple of Shinto shrines in shopping malls, too.



India gets a lot of spiritual tourism, but, as far as I know, Japan gets very little.
India gets a lot of spiritual tourism, but, as far as I know, Japan gets very little.

None of our student guides admitted to being religious, and none of them could tell me very much about how one becomes a monk or priest connected with a temple, who sites belong to, who maintains them, or what exactly is done in them.
A quick search for "study Zen in Japan" turned up dozens of sites offering instruction and retreats. So it wouldn't have been hard to find someone better informed about spiritual life in Japan, if we'd had more time to prepare for the trip.

No comments: