Monday, August 22, 2011

Our Record Player

Some things drag on and on.  Finding a turntable so that we could play all our old LPs was pretty low priority, and after everything was supposedly in place, we still couldn't do it.  Our amplifier doesn't have an input for turntables, so we had to buy a pre-amplifier, and the one we got had a terrible hum.  But yesterday, at last, I installed a new pre-amplifier, and the hum is almost inaudible.  To celebrate we put on an old mono [!] LP that I have had for years: Arthur Grumiaux playing the Bach unaccompanied violin partitas.
I thought, while listening: if I were a Musician (I am a musician, but not anywhere near the level I mean when I use the term "Musician" with a capital 'M'), and I could play a work like the Bach partitas with the beauty and depth that Grumiaux brought to his performance, I don't think I'd ever want to do anything else. 
I feel something similar about the Miles Davis record of "Kind of Blue."  Once you've played that way, where do you have to go as a musician?  I still have the LP, but I played it so much when I was young, that I doubt that it has any life in its grooves.



No comments: